Monday, August 29, 2011

The Word I Heard

Monday.  The day after Sunday.  The day I either live what I believe or walk in a different direction. The question I'm asking myself this morning is, "Was the Word I heard yesterday and the worship I experienced with my brothers and sisters in Christ affecting the way I live today?"  I don't know yet.  I'm still thinking and writing through the experience this morning.  What did I hear?

My daughter was sick yesterday so she didn't attend church with us.  I left after the service to check on her and wasn't able to attend Sunday School, words I didn't hear.  The afternoon was filled with preparations for a concert I would be doing in the evening and I didn't have much time to ponder the sermon, words I did hear.  What I did think about, though, was the song that the women sang during the service.  It has been our Women's Ministry theme for about 5 years for our Summer Outreach event.  The song is "O Taste and See", based on Psalm 34:8.  "Taste and see that the Lord is good.."  This verse was playing over and over in my head yesterday.  So, the word I heard was, "taste"

The author of The Psalms uses this verbage, I think, because he knows that if you do "taste" the goodness of God, you will be satisfied with His flavor, and therefore continue to crave God more.  The author knows, because of his own experience, that once you "taste" the Lord, you will have found what satisfies your spiritual hunger, that gnawing deep down in your soul, and, as a result, you will not want to go anywhere else to curb your appetite for truth, goodness, mercy, and love.   The author also knows from experience, that if you try to satisfy your soul with something else, it may taste good for the moment, but will leave a nasty "after taste" in your spirit; sort of like a strong cup of coffee does in your mouth. Yuck!

So, what have I been "tasting" lately?  Have I tasted the Lord's goodness or do I have a nasty after taste in my soul?  What word did you hear yesterday that you are applying to Monday?  The Monday difference is living out the Sunday experience.  My writing and thinking today has led me to dwell on God's goodness this week.  His goodness fills me with joy!  I can't think of a better way to reflect Christ but to be joyful.  How can I not be?  I've tasted His goodness in so many ways that I know from experience, too, that my soul only finds satisfaction in Jesus Christ. 

Have a "tasteful" week!

My Pleasure,
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment